Location, Location!

One of the most popular questions I am asked about photography is "Where should we go for great pictures, especially this time of year?"

Well, I can say that in the over 30 sessions I have done in the past 9 months, the more popular choice for outdoor pictures is the Indianapolis Museum of Art (IMA). It is an awesome location to take outdoor photos because there are so many options. You can get some with only trees and grass, some with buildings and architectural features, some on benches, some on bridges, some in gardens, and of course some in front of the famous Love sign and number garden. I thought that the IMA was only a "good-weather" location, but it actually is great for fun winter portraits, as seen in Mandy & Kerry's winter maternity session.

In my opinion, my favorite sessions are outside. Other great outdoor locations around Indianapolis are:

Holcomb Gardens at Butler
Holliday Park
Broad Ripple Park
Sahm Park (not the prettiest or most interesting, but for whatever reason, it photographs really well!)
Indy ArtsPark (lots of interesting "stuff")
Canal Walk

I am always open to finding new places, ESPECIALLY indoor locations. I have taken all of my indoor pictures at the homes of my clients, except for a few that were at my house. It is hard to find a good location with great lighting that provides some visual interest. Many businesses are not camera/photographer friendly, so you can't just drop in and take pictures wherever you want (unfortunately).

Thankfully, I just heard back from The Flying Cupcake (2 locations on Mass Ave & Illinois), and they are going to allow me to do a couple of shoots there at the end of February. This is really exciting, and I am very grateful for their open mind toward photographs in their bakery.

If you know of any great locations that I haven't listed or heard of, please comment and let me know! It's great to have new places to try and more suggestions for clients.

0 comments:

Post a Comment